Whether relocating or going on holiday, we have you covered. We understand how hard it can be to leave your beloved pet behind, so why not take him with you? We can carry your beloved pet safely and ensure that its handled with care.
On this page:
- Pets in the cabin
- Pets as check-in baggage
- Pets as freight
- Travel documents and health certificates
- Before departure
Pets in the cabin
Pet’s cannot be carried in the cabin and must be checked in a baggage.
Pets as check-in baggage
Your cat or dog may travel as check-in baggage in a ventilated part of the aircraft:
In a kennel that complies with IATA rules – for example those of the 'Sky' and 'Vari' brands. See below for precise rules for your pet’s kennel.
- Total weight of your pet and kennel combined may be max. 75 kg (165 lbs).
- Two adult animals of comparable size that are compatible, up to 14 kg (30 lbs) each. Or three animals up to six months old from the same litter, up to 14 kg (30 lbs) each.
We accept a maximum of two pets per guest as check-in baggage. Please contact our cargo team for any pets above that weight.
Reservations can be made by telephone or by visiting your local ticket office. We strongly advise you contact our team 24 hours after you have booked your ticket, and at least 48 hours prior departure. Please note that each guest may bring up to 3 pets but that we have room for a limited number of kennels in the hold.
Please make sure you have the kennel dimensions and weight available.
When transporting your pet as check-in baggage, its kennel needs to comply with several rules:
- The kennel must have a fiberglass or rigid plastic shell. Wooden, metal bar or welded wire mesh kennels are not allowed.
- The wheels must be removed or if retractable they must be taken off or blocked with duct tape.
- The door must have a centralized locking system which fastens both locks on top and at the bottom of the door. (A)
- The door hinge and locking pins must engage the container by at least 1.6cm (5/8 in.) beyond the horizontal extrusions above and below the door opening where the pins are fitted. (B)
- The two parts of the kennel must be joined by bolts. Any other locking system is strictly forbidden. (C)
- The kennel must be large enough for your pet to stand up without touching the top; to be able to turn around easily and to lie down in a natural position.
- The kennel must have a blanket, newspaper, or other absorbent material on floor. Please note that straw is not allowed.
You can purchase such a kennel at larger pet shops or specialist shipping agents. Read more about kennels on www.iata.org
Pets as Cargo
Your pet should be transported as cargo if:
- Your pet and kennel weigh more than 75 kg (165 lbs).
- The kennel is larger than 292 cm/115 inches (l + w + h).
- Your pet is not travelling on the same flight as you are.
- Your pet is travelling to a country whose authorities allow the transportation of pets as freight only.
To transport your pet as cargo you should contact our cargo team. You can find a list of cargo agents here.
Travel documents and health certificates
We recommend consulting the embassies of the country of departure and the country of destination to confirm applicable rules and required documents when transporting your pet
Find more information on the following websites for travel:
- To, from or within the European Union: read the Some countries do not allow pets being transported to and/or from that country - neither as a checked-in bag. For more information, please visit the website of IATA . For questions about transporting your pet as freight, please contact Oman Air Cargo team
Special rules apply to service animals which have been trained to assist passengers with disabilities, or rescue teams.
Prepare your pet for travel:
- Allow 5 days prior to flight departure for your pet to acclimatise to its kennel.
- Give your pet a light meal and/or water at the latest 2 hours before departure and walk your dog just before. During the flight your pet will not be given any food or water.
- Tranquillizing your pet should only be done in consultation with a veterinarian.
The check-in process for pets may take some time. We recommend arriving at the airport 4 hours prior to scheduled departure time with completed documentation.
The costs depend on the destination. Always make a reservation by telephone or through our local ticket office at least 72 hours prior to flight departure.
|From/To||Currency||Oman||Lebanon, Jordan, Iran, Iraq||Tanzania, Kenya, Egypt||UAE, Bahrain, Qatar, Kuwait, KSA||India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka||UK, France, Germany, Italy, Switzerland||Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines, China, Singapore, Indonesia|