(AGI) Milan - With only 25 days to go, Milan Mayor Giuliano Pisapia has said work on the Italian Pavilion at Expo 2015 may not be complete in time for the opening ceremony.
He was speaking following an hour-long visit to the site with Commissioner of the Government of Italy for Expo Milano 2015 Giuseppe Sala. He had been able to observe the state of play and meet the workmen, who were hard at it even on Easter Monday, he reported. Significant progress had been made, and he thought it should be possible to visit at least the exhibition sections of the pavilion as of May 1, when the inauguration is due to take place. Mr Sala said progress had been made along the South Cardo section, where there had been problems with the Lombard and Confindustria projects.
These had been revised and simplified and it looked on paper as if all would be resolved by May 1. There was great optimism, hope and willingness to make it in time, he added, and he would be going back to the site again prior to the inauguration. The mayor caused much mirth at a press conference at the Expo base camp by referring to an old article in French newspaper Le Matin reporting delays in the building of several of the pavilions at the 1900 Paris Expo, whereupon he was swiftly hushed up by Mr Sala. He then went on to say that almost all the pavilions were finished, and things were more advanced than at previous Expos. Some of the pavilions were wonderful, the clusters fantastic, and nobody would be able to claim there was a shortage of themes in Milan.
The turnstiles were being manoeuvred into place, the entrance arches would be fitted within the next week, and the seven openings were being prepared. The asphalt works would begin again on Tuesday, 95 percent of plants were on site, there was water in the canal and everything was in working order. Some countries, such as Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Germany and Switzerland, already had staff onsite and internal signage would begin to be erected on Tuesday, he concluded..