Baggage irregularities, baggage liability,baggage complaints
Oman Air's baggage policy is designed to expedite the check-in process, and alleviate congestion in the aircraft during the boarding process to facilitate on-time departure of your flight.
Upon delivery of your baggage, which you wish to check-in, we shall take custody of, and issue a "Baggage Identification Tag" which will be placed on each piece of your checked in baggage.
- Oman Air will accept your luggage only upon presentation of a valid ticket for travel on Oman Air flight.
- Your baggage will be checked-in to your final destination.
- Baggage must be packed and secured in suitcases or similar containers in order to guarantee safe transportation.
- Baggage handed over to the check-in agent at the desk, should have been packed by your own self and you must be aware of its contents for security and safety reasons of your selves, other passengers and the aircraft.
We Recommend That You
- Place your name and address on the inside as well as the outside of your baggage.
- Carry valuable items such as electronic equipment, cameras, films, cash and jewelry with you on board the aircraft.
- Do not place any of the above items / valuables in your baggage which is to be checked-in.
- Advice the check-in agent before checking your baggage, if you are deviating from the itinerary stated on your ticket.
- Carry necessary items such as medication, prescriptions, tickets, passports, other legal documentation and keys along with you on board the aircraft.
- Claim your baggage immediately upon arrival.
Claiming Your Checked baggage
You will be able to retrieve your checked–in baggage from the Baggage Claim area at the airport of destination. Since many baggages are quite similar in style and colour, we recommend that you inspect your luggage closely and check the baggage tag which was placed t the origin to ensure you claim your own items.
If you are unable to locate your baggage upon arrival, you should notify a Baggage Service agent prior to leaving the airport. At that time, the agent will assist you file a Passenger Irregularity Report which will assist us to locate the baggage.
Free Baggage Allowance
- Oman Air provides the following baggage allowances when traveling solely on Oman Air services:
First Class 50 kilograms
Business Class 40 kilograms
Economy Class 30 kilograms
- Please be aware that standard IATA baggage allowances will apply when Oman Air customers are using Oman Air Codeshare* or Interline Partner* services
First Class 40 kilograms
Business Class 30 kilograms
Economy Class 20 kilograms
* These allowances are provided as a general guideline but may vary based on aircraft type, weather conditions or local promotional activities.
- We strongly advise customers to contact the local Oman Air office to check the latest information concerning baggage allowances well in advance of date of travel.
Size and Weight Restrictions
The maximum accepted weight for any single piece of baggage is 32 Kg. Any piece of baggage exceeding this weight allotment shall not be accepted for check-in. Total Maximum Outside Linear Dimensions (length + width + height) may not exceed 158 cms or 62 inches. Bags larger than the size specified may require special handling.
Due to restrictions applicable in different aircraft types, it is necessary to make enquiries from any travel agent or Oman Air if you wish to carry any item larger in size or excessively heavier in weight prior to your arrival at the airport. Larger or heavier items may be shipped as cargo.
For safety reasons and restricted space Oman Air allows maximum of one hand baggage to be carried on board the aircraft which should not exceed 7 kilos. The hand bag must fit underneath the seat in front of the passenger or in the overhead compartment.
Articles in addition to the free carry-on items are considered as hand baggage and are subjected to the passenger's own supervision and responsibility. These articles must be weighed and counted towards the free baggage allowances. Passenger(s) are allowed one piece of hand baggage with maximum dimensions of 115CM (Length + Height + Width) and not weighing more than 7 Kg in Economy Class and two pieces for First and Business Class and the weight of both pieces must not exceed 14 Kg.
- Oman Air assumes no responsibility for liability of baggage, or other items, carried in the passenger compartment of the aircraft.
- Operational or safety considerations may require limitations to the maximum allowable carry-on baggage on a specific flight.
- Oman Air reserves the right to determine the suitability of any bag which is to be carried in the aircraft cabin.
Hand baggage allowance / limitations per passenger
|Class of Travel and Category of Passenger||Number of pieces||Size||Weight|
|Premium/First||02||Each piece volume maximum 115cms (45inches)||Total weight maximum 14 Kgs|
|Business||02||Each piece volume maximum 115cms (45inches)||Total weight maximum 14 Kgs|
|Economy||01||Volume maximum 115cms (45inches)||Maximum 07 Kgs|
First and Business Class
Oman Air will accept two pieces of hand baggage, each not exceeding a total dimension of 115 cm and a combined weight of 14 Kg.
Items Removed By Airport Security Personnel
Oman Air will not be responsible or liable in respect of articles that are removed from your baggage by airport security personnel in accordance with applicable laws and regulations.
It is forbidden to carry any articles that could damage the aircraft or place the passenger's lives or the aircraft in any sort of danger. For legal, safety and security reasons, the following articles must not be packed in any baggage: compressed gases, corrosives, explosives, fireworks, flammable liquids/solids, lighter fluid, loaded firearms, mace/tear gas, oxidizers, oxygen bottles, paints, poisons, and radioactive materials. Indications on restrictions are found at all airports for further understanding and information.
Most of our baggage is carried in a safe, efficient manner, but on some occasions and due to a wide variety of reasons, baggage may receive rough handling and could be damaged.
Irregularities involving your baggage, such as delay or damage should be reported in person to the baggage agents prior to leaving the baggage collection area upon arrival at your destination, who will ask you to provide the information pertinent to contents of the baggage which assists in locating your baggage. The baggage agent will also assist you in filing a Passenger Irregularity Report. All reasonable efforts shall be made to locate and return your baggage promptly.
All tickets, boarding cards, baggage identification labels or receipts and the completed Passenger Irregularity Report (which includes a file reference number for you to refer to in any correspondence or reference to your claim), must be kept safe with you in order to include them with any subsequent claim.
Although statistics suggest it is highly likely your baggage will arrive with you, there is a possibility either it might inadvertently be misrouted, or the Baggage Identification Tag is accidentally removed. For this reason,
it is important to place your name, address and telephone number/s on the outside and inside of each bag. Name tags are available at all airport check-in locations.
Claim Procedure for Baggage Irregularities
In the unlikely event that we do not locate your baggage within 5 days, the following documentation must be presented to the closest Oman Air airport or reservations office.
- A completed Baggage Claim Questionnaire that was handed over when you reported the loss or damage.
- The initial report (Passenger Irregularity Report) filed at the airport of destination where your travel was completed.
- Claim potions of the Baggage identification labels.
- Ticket/s (in the case of not using an electronic ticket).
- Boarding card/s.
- Copy of the passenger's identity card/passport.
Note *The above documents will be required to process your claim.
It is important that customers retain all damaged property until it can be inspected by an Oman Air Baggage Service agent, and a damaged property report is issued.
Passengers who need assistance in locating an item left onboard an Oman Air aircraft, or left behind at an Oman Air boarding gate area, should contact the Oman Air airport staff where travel was completed or the airport at which the item was last seen.
We will search for your missing property and contact you ONLY if we have located any of the missing or left behind items or something that is similar to what you have described.
Baggage Liability (For International travel to which the Warsaw Convention applies):
Liability for loss, delay or damage to baggage is limited to approximately $9.07 per pound ($20 USD per kg) for checked baggage, and $400 USD per passenger for unchecked baggage unless a higher value is declared in advance and additional charges are paid.
Under no circumstances will Oman Air be liable for loss, delay, or damage to unchecked baggage/hand baggage not attributed to the negligence of Oman Air.
If traveling with items valued beyond the standard baggage liability allowance, additional liability insurance may be purchased if a passenger declares (this may be declared on certain types of articles, which covers loss of the baggage; it does not cover damage to the bag or its contents) more value when checking in baggage.
However, you are strongly advised to take out your own insurance policy to cover the value of your baggage and its contents, particularly if you have important or valuable items.
Oman Air does not assume liability for loss or delay to certain specific items including:
Antiques, documents, electronic equipment, film, jewelry, keys, manuscripts, medication, money, paintings, photographs, photographic equipment, samples, securities, silverware, watches, fragile items, irreplaceable or perishable items.
Please do not include these items in your checked baggage, as we shall not be responsible for any loss to such items.
Oman Air is not responsible for conditions that result from normal wear and tear or the following:
Damage to wheels, feet, extending handles, manufacturer's defect, over-packing of the bag, oversized bags, fragile or perishable items. loss of external locks, pull straps or security straps. Damage to antiques, documents, electronic equipment, film, jewelry, keys, manuscripts, medication, money, paintings, photographs, photographic equipment, samples, securities, silverware, watches.
Please, do not include these in your checked baggage, as we shall not be responsible for any damage to such items.
If the item is too large to carry-on, we suggest purchasing a ticket for the adjacent seat in order that the unit be placed and secured.
For more information, please see our full Conditions of Carriage.
For all your immediate written enquiries pertaining to loss or damaged bag, please contact our nearest Oman Air Office or our Baggage Services Agents at your destination airport.
We wish to advise you to provide the following information:
- Name of passenger traveling (as read on ticket)
- Baggage Irregularity Report reference number (PIR)
- Flight number and date of travel
- Airport location where baggage report was filed
- Any other pertinent information
Note *The above documents will be required to process your claim.
When ticketed passengers are away from their permanent address and the delivery of baggage is delayed, Oman Air may authorize an amount of compensation in cash per ticketed passenger for the purchase of essential personal items such as clothing and toiletries with a maximum ceiling.
Our ticketing contract excludes liability for consequential damages such as inconvenience, car rental expenses, phone call expenses, hotel or meal costs. Additionally, Oman Air cannot offer refunds of airfare due to baggage discrepancies.
Filing a Claim
To file a claim, please see Claim Procedure for Baggage Irregularities (above).
For all other miscellaneous baggage related claim or complaint may be sent in writing to:
Central Baggage Tracing (CBT)
Customer Support Dept.
P.O. Box 58
Muscat International Airport, PC 111
Sultanate of Oman
Tel: +968 24 519230